Municipal Unit of Ekali

Ekali was an ancient demos of Attica, which belonged to the Leontinian tribe, and its inhabitants were called “Ekalii”. According to tradition, the toponym is associated with an old woman (Hecale) who offered succor to Theseus when he needed help in his attempt to protect the area from the suffering caused by a terrible bull. To honor her, he named the Municipality Ekali.

Modern Ekali was “born” in 1924 as a model countryside settlement. The inspirer and creator of this suburb, combining romantic nature and suburban architecture, was Spilios Agapitos, a civil engineer and nature enthusiast. Ekali gradually began to grow and spread around small squares that led to radiant, quiet streets bearing deity, flower and mountain names.

Today, the Municipal Unit of Ekali occupies an area of 4,400 acres, including both residential and forest areas. The area’s features include high-standard architecture, low plot ratios, a large percentage of private and municipal greenery, as well as an excellent urban design. The settlement’s center extends around Kennedy Square and Vasileos Pavlou Square, on both sides of Thisseos Avenue.